Saturday, August 25, 2007

Summer socks

As summer is slowly dying, let's remember the good times.

Summer socks
Pattern: My own but using

Wendy's Generic Toe-Up Sock Pattern for toe-up techniques
Yarn: Online Supersocke Cotton, about half a 100g ball ??
Needles: 2,5 mm dpns

Once again an FO that was started last year but got stranded due to unispiritis. My first toe-up socks. A very gratifying technique, I think. I made some garter "seams" across the toes and along the side of the foot to imitate ordinary socks and to help me keep track of where the rows ended. After doing the short-row heel I felt it was a bit low so I started the ribbing gradually making the first columns at the sides and adding ribbed columns every 4 rows or so. It makes the stockinette part at the back of the heel and on top of the foot a little taller.


The yarn felt a bit like knitting with rope at first but once I got going it was fine. The sock is close-fitting, bordering on tight at the moment but I expect it will inevitably loose some of its shape due to the yarn's cotton content. The variegation is just right, I think. No pooling to speak of. All in all, a nice pair of socks, says I.

No comments: