Monday, June 05, 2006

Beading

Here are my first attempts at the art of jewelry-making. It is a lot of fun, and goes so quickly compared to knitting! These were made using a cheap bead mix from the local crafts shop. But even cheap beads look nice in the sunshine!





I could easily get hooked on beadwork, and the internet is as always a dangerous place for crafty people. It was not long before I realized Swarovski crystals was really the thing to get rather than cheap bead mixes, and shopping should take place at a specialized bead shop such as Villihelmi or Sayila. Any old pliers, needles and wire won't do of course, you need to get the good stuff - and before you know it this new hobby will have you spending euros in every direction just getting the basic tools and a "stash" of materials to work with. Not sure I want to go there.

I lie, of course I want to. But if I do something else has gotta give. Knitting? Eating? Family time? Outdoors in the summer sun time? Working out? Well, I already gave that up when I started knitting AND blogging and my waistline is not liking it one bit. No, my rational side is having a serious talk to my impulsive side about the sensibility in jumping on this bandwagon just because I managed to produce a necklace and some earrings. Time will tell which side comes out the victor. For now, it's back to the needles.

No comments: