Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Something almost finished

This heat we're having is almost too much. Sweating and breathing heavily is for those who really enjoy a thorough workout (I'm afraid I'm not one of them), not for those of us whose most strenous exercise is a purl row every now and then.

This yarn came home with me from my outing to Tapion kauppa the other day (um, almost two weeks ago actually). It's Idena Bamboo: 70 % bamboo, 30 % cotton. Very soft and drapey and with a nice sheen.


I wanted to make myself a summer hat from it and started crocheting a cap from Finnish Moda magazine (unfortunately no picture of either pattern or unfinished object). I nearly finished it only to realise it made me look like a cleaning lady wearing a dishcloth on her head. So I ripped and decided to jump on the Topi bandwagon. Here she is, crumpled up but almost complete.


Conclusions made:

  • Idena bamboo looks much better knitted than crocheted.
  • It is also very drapey so needs small needles to stay firm. I used 3,5 mm dpns and 3 mm for the ribbing and brim.
  • Topi is a nicely written and cleverly constructed pattern.
  • What was I thinking buying baby pink yarn for a hat? It makes me look like - well, 12.
  • I will still wear Topi and she will serve her duty as sun protection well, but I have yet to find a hat that flatters a small head with short hair. Any ideas anyone?
  • Every source of artificial light in my MIL's house is totally unsuitable for blog photography (picture above).
More pictures when she is complete! I will be travelling a bit in the coming weeks so posting might be scarce. Happy holidays to those of you who have just been let out of the office and happy 4th of July to those of you celebrating across the Atlantic!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your use of the Idena bamboo. I have never seen it applied before!

wall sconces