Thursday, August 10, 2006

Topi beach hat


Remember Topi? She was almost finished when I stopped loving her. It's the army cap style that, while looking immensely cool on everyone else, just doesn't do it for me. So Topi spent most of her summer in the ufo pile while I was trying to motivate myself to pick her up again. And eventually I did and gave her a new look.



Topi with a full brim.
Yarn: Idena Bamboo, 2 balls
Needles: 3,5 and 3 mm dpns

I just played it by ear and made increases at regular intervals, finishing the brim with the same ribbing as the head band. The shape of the brim is slightly pentagonal, but what the h***, I just wanted to finish the thing. I'm pretty happy with the final result, since the brim was more or less an experiment and a somewhat half-hearted attempt to salvage the bamboo yarn. And the top is very pretty, I think. A simple but clever construction. (Designed by Jennifer, of course)


The color is still wrong though, very wrong. A momentary lapse of sound judgement is my only explanation for choosing this color for a hat. So this particular specimen will not be seen in public all that much. But I'm not excluding the possibility that I will make another one, possibly with a wider brim and in a more striking color. Just not this year. Chapter summer hats is hereby closed for the season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hur skulle det vara att färga hatten om färgen är helt fel? Det finns maskinfärgmedel i behändiga små tråg som gör ett perfekt arbete (Nitor), och som jag använt med jämn god färg som resultat.
Personligen tycker jag den ser helt bra ut, men jag är själv övertygad om att jag inte klär mig i hatt, så jag skulle förmodligen vara väldigt kritisk själv.